Sunday, July 07, 2013

THE WEDDING CHRONICLES - PART ONE

I guess there are few better ways to restart a blog whose posting strategy is Afridiesque in its consistency, than to talk about the single most important event of one's life. But let me for a moment not talk about the time I got my Grado SR325 headphones, and talk about something else which a few of you are privy to.

I speak, of course - of the fact that I'm going to get hitched. On 14 July 2013, Divya and I are going to be one. One in the way Lennon and McCartney were (without the fallout). One in the way two amoebae fuse (without the grossness). And one in the way HTC's latest phone is (without the useless Beats Audio).

It's been three years since we started going out - a term appropriate for India where parents get scandalized if an unmarried couple were to be seen in the same Cooperative Housing Society.

And now, after many anxious moments - it's finally happening. Whee!

I started off the journey telling my parents that I was landing up on Monday, totally intending to surprise them as I'm actually reaching Kochi on Sunday. Alas, that idea backfired as they got wind of what I was up to and  the only surprise for them was the fact that I've actually managed to gain more weight than was thought to be humanly possible.

So here I am in Tripunithura. Houses here are quite massive. Granted, that is also partially because the region is not the most flourishing of real estate markets. Neither is there an IT park in the near vicinity, the types of which have been responsible for many youngsters gravitating to the area, followed by fashionable establishments. The upshot of all this essentially being - you could buy a bungalow in Tripunithura for the price of a, say, closet in suburban Mumbai.

Tripunithura is also quite unlikely to immediately top any lists of 'happening party destinations' in India. I'd like to use the term 'charming' to refer to it, but flocking off to temples at every possible occasion and the absence of sustenance of the more protein-enriched variety (if you know what I mean) really doesn't meet my idea of 'charm'. As a kid, I've never really looked forward to my bi-annual sojourn to this sleepy little place, having to pass time by playing Scrabble against myself, and re-re-re-re-re-re-reading my latest stash of Archie comics.

Nevertheless, it's where the nucleus of the whole wedding preparation is going to happen. And one thing about this whole shindig is that I've been very removed from all the action. The last time I met my parents, they had no idea I was even seriously seeing someone and they were constantly raising the "we're getting old now..." statement. A while longer and things would have possibly reached the comfortable forget-Tambrahm-just-get-anybody-and-we'll-get-you-married-off stage.

So since I've been away from all this, and the fact that Ogilvy and my freelance work keep me wonderfully busy, I haven't had much time to contemplate or look out of the window with a cup of tea going "Gawrsh, I'm gonna be married in a month!". The most I did was download a countdown timer app on my phone.

Perhaps this insulation was a good thing? Cold feet, jitters, butterflies, and all those things which your Facebook friends believe you should have, never really came. I've been quite clinical about the whole thing - having planned everything from the honeymoon to house-shifting in Excel. Now some of you might say that this Steve Waughian ice-cool nature was a good thing. Others might call me a killjoy, not giving in to the emotions of a momentous event.

But tell you what, I'm quietly thrilled. And not just because that app is telling me I have only 6 days to go.

A lot of fun events have been planned over the next couple of weeks, which I'll attempt to list down over here. From my mom's attempts to get me to shave my French beard off, to my brother's excitement at adding 15 devices to the home Wifi router (serious) - there's a lot of hilarity to be had here.

I've just spent my last weekend as a bachelor.

Oh, and if you haven't seen our 'story' yet, please to click here :)

==


4 comments:

BuntyCobra said...

Oh nman, this was a delightful read, imma see you at the reception. Also, just clicked on the story, it's adorable.

Nishal Joseph said...

the story is awesome. the stress balls have been used beautifully.

all the best for this new phase of life.

#SavariGiriGiri

karthick r said...

Saare,
Lovely site you got there..
But one biggesht request - keep the earphone/headphone reviews coming.. :P

~ cheers.!

Anita Jeyan Sandeep said...

Haha adipoli..! Have a joyous wedding day..! Always feels light after reading your posts :-)