Saturday, November 28, 2009

MUMBAI LESSONS - 7

Scene: Delivery boy from Paramesh Suresh Stores (of this post fame) arrives to give me the groceries I ordered a few minutes back

Me: Kitna ho gaya?
DB: Do sau ikyaasi
Me: (poor ginti skills, looking at bill) Acha, 281
DB: Haanji
Me: (taking out money to pay) Do sau ekyaasi... VVS Laxman... Yaad hai?
DB: (eyes light up) Haan sir! Calcutta mein, na? Australia...
Me: Haan! Do hazaar ek mein... Kya innings tha, kya match tha...

* DB and me both look into the air wistfully *

Moral of the story: If you look at the DNA of an Indian, you're likely to find red balls, bats and wickets. We love our cricket.

PS: For people who have no friggin' clue what I'm talking about, check this out. Then this.
PSS: Thank you to my favourite squirrel for reminding me what 281 in Hindi was :P

7 comments:

narendra shenoy said...

You can say that again! I was once given an excellent critique of dravids batting by an auto guy. I happened to be crticising him (Dravid, not the auto guy) and the auto guy stopped, discussed(or rather, vry properly told me I didn't know what I was talking about), and moved on.

Enjoyed! (the post, not the auto guy's ticking off - actually, that too)

ChUcK said...

You should write a post about it actually :)

Sid said...

That day only one person had radio in the office. The guy was the most powerful man in a radius of 50m that day. The only thing folks were asking were, "Laxman aur Dravid hain na?" He was generously nodding and also telling imp. numbers like run-rate, individual scores, etc.

Atrisa said...

You know you could get into full time market research, given your insightful insights! Hehe. I like how you find humor in everyday life, its a rare gift :)

Sunil said...

Kaise bhool saktein hain woh "Do sau ikkyassi" ! * starts dreaming *

Sirpy Jayaprakasam said...

I too remember.. It was the first time I heard my Dad swear in happiness.. :)

Deepak Gopalakrishnan said...

@Archie: Thank you, sweetie! :)

@Sunil: Just see the YouTube video. So beautiful.

@Sirpy: Haha. I had a most fortunate headache and didn't go to school that day. I knew I was watching something epic!